Review: Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

Death and the Girl Next Door
Death and the Girl Next Door (Darklight, #1)
by Darynda Jones

Publishing Date:
October 2nd 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Press






From Goodreads:
Darynda Jones, author of The New York Times bestselling series that began with First Grave on the Right, brings us Death and the Girl Next Door, a thrilling Young Adult novel garnering high praise and early buzz from major authors

Ten years ago, Lorelei's parents disappeared without a trace. Raised by her grandparents and leaning on the support of her best friends, Lorelei is finally beginning to accept the fact that her parents are never coming home. For Lorelei, life goes on.

High school is not quite as painful as she thinks it will be, and things are as normal as they can be. Until the day the school's designated loner, Cameron Lusk, begins to stalk her, turning up where she least expects it, standing outside her house in the dark, night after night. Things get even more complicated when a new guy—terrifying, tough, sexy Jared Kovach—comes to school. Cameron and Jared instantly despise each other and Lorelei seems to be the reason for their animosity. What does Jared know about her parents? Why does Cameron tell Jared he can't have Lorelei? And what will any of them do when Death comes knocking for real? Thrilling, sassy, sexy, and inventive, Darynda Jones's first foray into the world of teens will leave readers eager for the next installment.


My review:
This book was one of my most anticipated fall releases. I was sooooo excited when I started reading this book. After reading all those reviews and seeing how much everybody liked it, I thought it was going to be amazing. Oh, how I wanted to like this book, but I couldn't. I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea. I ended up really dissapointed. I almost gave up reading, but I finished it because the plot wasn't so bad.

Writing... Everybody says they liked Darynda's writing, but I hated it. And I mean really, really hated it. I guess she was just trying to make it funny, but it didn't do it for me. If this book is ever going to be made into a movie, I think it would be like those stupid comedies that should be funny, but just aren't, and with a paranormal twist.

The characters... I guess I haven't seen so annoying characters from House of Night series. For the most part of the book I just couldn't concentrate on the plot because the characters were so annoying. And not just Lorelai, but every single character.
Lorelay is bossy & whiny. She just goes around and orders people what to do in the whole book, and they all listen to whatever she says. Of course they do.
The boys, Cameron and Jared, I guess they weren't really special. Just your ordinary good looking guys.
And Glitch and Brooke, Lorelai's best friend were almost as annoying as Damien and the twins from House of Night.

The Romance... There wasn't a love-triangle in this book. Thank God for that! If there was, I think it would be just too much for me. But there was an instant-romance. No, scratch that. There was a SUPER instant-romance! I didn't liked it a bit.

The Plot... I guess the plot is the only thing that kept me reading. There is a good mix between angels, nephilim, reaper & clairvoyance. It was unique and you wanted to know what will happen next. It would be a very good read if not for the things stated above.

I guess I should stop now, because I could go on and on and on.... This said, I didn't like it, and I most definitely won't be reading the sequel.


My rating:

About Unknown

Hi. I'm Anatea, a 23-year-old Croatian girl, living in Germany. I enjoy reading books, traveling, fashion and photography. Let me show you my world.
    Blogger Comment

3 komentari:

  1. I'm giving up on this one. There is just so many better books. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh you mentioned House of Night. That doesn't bode well. I'm currently reading this one and I'm still on the first part so I can't really say whether it's good or bad. I'm so sad you don't like this one but I'm still going to read it though but I would be lowering my expectations. Thank you for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sad that I didn't like it too. And yeah, I just had to compare it with the House of Night, the only difference between the two in my oppinion is that this book had good plot.

      Delete